Saturday, December 02, 2006

Twas The Night Before Catmas


We went to see Santa today. He was the same jolly old guy I remember from last year. I know it's better to give than to receive so I decided that possibly if I asked him for something for someone else maybe he would do it.... so I asked him to find Harley a new home! HA! He said no, I'd probably miss her if he took her. So I asked him to bring me a shock collar for her -- "Dance dog! Dance!" Anyway, I digress from the original reason for this post. I was at Barnes and Noble the other day checking out the new Cat calendars... my cousin Octavio is Mr. June in the Classic Cats calendar... anyway, I found a book I just had to have... The Night Before Cat-Mas by Virginia Unser, so I thought I'd share it here. Mom reads this to me at night before I go to sleep.

The Night Before Cat-Mas
by Virginia Unser

Twas the night before Cat-mas when all through the house
not a kitten was stirring nor chasing a mouse.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care
in hopes that St. Kittyclaws
soon would be there.
The kittens were nestled all snug in their beds
while visions of catnip danced in their heads.
Ma Tab with her whiskers and I in my cap
had just settled down for a winter's catnap.
When outside the house, came such a noise and such strife
so startled was I that I used up a life!
I jumped to the window and gave a small "mew"
I perched in the moonlight enjoying the view.
The sight of the snowdrifts so cold and so white,
made me purrfectly glad to be indoors tonight.
When, what to my wondering eyes did appear,
but a feline sized sleigh and eight tiny cat-deer.
With a little old driver so lively and fit,
I new in a moment he must be St. Kit.
So quickly they flew and with such grace they came!
Then Kittyclaws smiled and mewed out their names:
"Now Felix! Now Patches! Now, Mittens and Muffy!
On, Twinkle! On, Whiskers! On, Tiger and Fluffy!
Don't wake up the collie! Watch out for the wall!
Go on past the mailbox! And try not to fall!"
As kittens will punce on a fat ball of string,
tails all-a-tumbling, ready to spring.
So up to the door frame the felines all flew,
with a sleigh full of toys, and St. Kittyclaws too.
And then in a twinkling I heard by the door
The scratching and pawing of each little claw.
As I drew in my head and was turning around,
Kittyclaws came thoght the door with a bound.
He was dressed all in fur from his head to his feet
and his whiskers were sprinkled with flurries and sleet.
A bundle of toys he had flung on his back
and he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.
His eyes - how they twinkled! His whiskers - so merry!
His tail was so fluffy, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
and the fur on his chin was as white as the snow.
The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
and the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.
He had a broad face and a round little belly
that shook when he purred like a bowl full of jelly.
He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old cat,
and I laughed when I saw him looking like that.
A wink of his eye and a flick of his tail;
I knew our stockings would bulge without fail.
He made not a sound; he was silent and swift.
Each of the kittens was given a gift.
He washed his paws quickly, and, twitching his nose,
he gave me a nod up the chimney he rose.
He sprang to his sleigh, and "meow"ed to the team.
They all flew away in the moonlight's soft gleam.
But I heard him meow ere he drove out of sight -
"Merry Cat-Mas to all, and to all a good night!"